…the EWAA needs more participation from its members!
Here are three good reasons to volunteer some of your time to actively contribute to the running of the East Ward Allotment Association:
- You will make friends and gain a sense of community with people who are all united by a shared love of gardening.
- You will help ensure that this little corner of Oxford is green and productive for the maximum number of people and is a community resource for the future.
- You will have the satisfaction of knowing that without you, the association would cease to exist: no plots let, no keys provided, no meetings called, no expertise shared.
We are a community group that can only function if all members participate in running the site. This is democracy in action! Please make a start by attending the AGM and finding out about the challenges we face and the possible solutions.
At the AGM you will:
- Vote for next year’s committee members, officers, and trustees. If you know someone who is interested in joining the committee, please nominate him/her by sending an email to to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 21st September. To find out more refer to EWAA Roles Explained.
- Learn about the current lease negotiations with Oxford City Council.
- Vote on the proposed new constitution and site rules so that up-to-date governance documents are in place ready for the new 21-year lease.
- You will vote on the proposal for a rent rise to take the price of a full-sized (10 pole) plot to £40/year. This is still below national average for the cost of an allotment, but we need to increase rent because the Council is going to put our rent up by 25% under the new lease and also make us responsible for maintaining boundary fences which were previously a Council responsibility. Added to this, water and electricity bills have risen.
All these issues will be discussed more thoroughly at the AGM, so please come and contribute to the decision-making.