EWAA Committee Meeting Minutes
12 March 2015, 7.30pm
Attendees: Julian Stern (Chair), Josie Powell, Stewart Young, Sarah Pollard, Tony Flett, , Pat Mansfield, Peter Corcutt, George Murray, Jane Millar, Bridget Henderson, Meryl Wilford, Clare Ferguson
- Apologies: Helen Edwards, Jane Nimmo-Smith
- Minutes of last meeting – Julian to share. Actions from last meeting completed.
- Matters arising – Action: George to share membership rules (?) to members
- Treasurer’s Report – budget healthy. £7,755 in bank with no big commitments and shop sales picking up.
- Membership report – 4 plots allocated. Waiting list small and 13 vacant plots. Some plots becoming un-letable so we considered whether to take some out of commission – specifically 97(?)
Actions: George to review plots in March.
George to contact organisations (like refuge resource) that might help turn plots around. Josie to make new sign for noticeboard.
- Proposal to produce only ‘Decisions & Actions’ minutes at committee meetings.
Agreed to just include item discussed, decision and action point.
- Proposal to amend Rule 19 Site Security: replace “closed” with “locked” (re gates) – Pat proposed, Sarah seconded, carried. Action: change on document and website.
- Grant Application – Julian applied for £400 for noticeboards, £800 for shed roof.
- Tree Matters – growing trees and hedges – Peter concerned that plots are losing workable ground due to shade and suckers (esp. between plots on shop and middle road). Discussed whether it’s a work party job, the responsibility of individual plotholders (and do they know about rules on heights etc.), or whether we need expert help. Action: Stewart, George and Clare volunteered to be part of tree review. Ask Chris Gamblin to take a look.
- Website training and communication – need to sort out website esp. if comments are activated. Action: Julian check with Mike and create a form for questions and messages etc. Add posts about tree height and reminder of certain rules.
- Allotment holders’ responsibilities – discussed whether to talk to plotholders about junk on plots, lack of numbering. Idea of running a competition for best number sign.
- Committee meeting dates – are on website.
- Whitehouse report; no further report.
- UWG buffer zone clearance; area left uncleared and trees growing too tall. Action: Chris to remind Alan Hart.
- Raised beds report; nearly complete, awaiting a bag of compost
- Machinery; discussion on strimmers.
- Shop report; Order form and catalogue in shop if anyone has requests, min order is 5. Action: Sarah to place order for beans, sweetcorn etc. Greet offered to do a willow weaving class – Sarah to gauge interest. Fruit man visit has been advertised.
- Mowing rota; Richard to continue on far road, Tony on shop road. Chris R unable to do middle road and play area. Action: advertise for someone to pick it up.
- Spring event; Others can organise events if they volunteer.
- Coppice material to be cleared from play area; Chris and Stewart to move into one area. Action: Josie to advertise as pea sticks
- Water butt on first road has a leak. Tony will start repair and invited people to help. Willow logs available on Tony’s plot to be shifted to shop area for collection.
- Communal poo; Looking for new supplier. Action: Put notice in shop to encourage people to get their own.
- Car park pot hole; fill attempted but not successful.
- Front gates and gate posts; reinstall posts for gates on car park. See if council can repair other car park gate.
- Willow pollarding logs;
- Notice boards; discussed earlier.
- Gate at the top by the Boundary Brook flats – discussed a solution to rubbish and whether it’s OUWG responsibility.